Mark your calendars to join us at Sedona Taphouse on Mondays throughout the month of May for our Steak Out for Charity fundraiser!
Enjoy a delicious flat-iron steak dinner (or lunch) for just $6 – and $1 will be donated to Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle to support our mission of providing nutrition & comfort to the ill and elderly in our community.
Sedona Taphouse is located at 1035 Millmont Street in Charlottesville (behind the Barracks Road Shopping Center). Visit sedonataphouse.com to see their full menu and wide selection of craft beers.
The KidX XOXO Valentine Event at Fashion Square Mall during February was an absolute success! Children made Valentine's day cards for Meals On Wheel's Clients, including sayings such as "you are loved!" and "be mine!". The kids were so overjoyed to spread some love over the holiday; some of them even shared that their grandparents had been helped by Meals On Wheels! A few of the parents even donated birthday gifts for the clients. Here are some photos from the event:
Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle is joining together with hundreds of independent Meals on Wheels programs around the country for our annual March for Meals campaign. Our common goal is to raise awareness of our mission and build community engagement around our cause at the grassroots level.
Throughout the month of March, we will be reaching out to our local community with fundraising activities, volunteer drives, and celebrating community champions. Be sure to check cvillemeals.org and our Facebook page to stay up to date on our March for Meals activities.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Share our message with family, friends and colleagues about the importance and effectiveness of our Meals on Wheels program as a solution to the challenges of elder hunger and isolation
- Donate and spread the word about our reliance on private contributions rather than government funding to serve our neighbors in need
- Encourage people you know to get involved by volunteering to pack and deliver meals
Together we can ensure that the homebound in our community receive the nutrition and companionship they require. Thank you for your support!
Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle is seeking a Client Manager to join our team! The Client Manager is tasked with the support of our clients, both new and existing, in support of our mission – to provide hot, nutritious meals to homebound Charlottesville and Albemarle County residents who are unable to cook their own meals and who have no one to help them. Reporting to the Executive Director, the ideal candidate will be experienced in social work, specifically with an elder population and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. This person must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and fully supportive of the mission of Meals on Wheels (MOW).
- Accepts new client referrals and takes basic information
- Responsible for inputting documentation into database program
- Initiates paperwork for all new clients
- Adds new meal recipients to delivery route schedules in coordination with the Volunteer Manager
- Completes annual review and documentation of client needs and eligibility
- Responsible for organizing and distributing birthday and holiday gifts
- Prepares monthly statistics
- Prepares monthly bills and client statements
- Checks answering machine daily and logs messages
- Answers phone and logs messages
- Assists with newsletters and mailings
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office knowledge with a focus on Access and Excel.
- Intermediate knowledge of QuickBooks
- Proven clear thinker, well organized, level headed, solution oriented.
- Strong customer service ethic, answers phones and works with meal recipients.
- Social Work background preferred.
- Must have personal automobile insurance and a valid driver’s license, with access to a reliable vehicle.
Please submit resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
Love is making sure that our neighbors are fed and cared for all year long. Our 320+ volunteers at Meals on Wheels do this five days a week, bringing nutritious meals and friendly conversation to those who are homebound and living alone. We are so thankful for their time and dedication. If you are interested in learning more about being a Meals on Wheels volunteer, please give us a call at 434-293-4364 or email Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you looking for a fun and meaningful way to celebrate Valentine’s Day - and support Meals on Wheels in the process? Plan to join C-village, a grassroots organization dedicated to building community by providing family-friendly volunteering opportunities, for their next service project on Sunday, February 12, from 3:15-4:45 p.m. in the McIntire Room at the Central Library (201 E. Market St.) in Charlottesville.
Everyone is welcome to join in this event! Volunteers will be helping to make Valentine’s Day cards, heart-shaped pipe cleaner pencil toppers, and heart picture frame wreaths for Meals on Wheels clients. They will also be putting together birthday care packages for our meal recipients. Check out our Facebook page for more information. We hope to see you there!
Meals on Wheels America is partnering with DoSomething.org to warm the hearts of homebound seniors this Valentine's Day! Will you take the Love Letters Challenge? You might win a $3,000 scholarship! DoSomething.org is a global organization that seeks to motivate young people to make a positive change both online and off! Simply create handcrafted Love Letters to help Meals on Wheels clients feel the love this Valentine's Day! For more information and to sign up for the Challenge, click here.
If you would like to participate locally, please send or drop off your Love Letters by Monday, February 13, to Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle at 704 Rose Hill Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
Wow, talk about teamwork! Brownie Troop #2071 visited us yesterday to clean our meal delivery bags. With nearly 75 bags in all, this was no small undertaking! The girls did an awesome job and even had time to create special birthday cards for our clients. Our thanks to all of the Brownies and to MOW Volunteer Anna Emery and her Troop Co-Leader Natalie Artz for organizing the activity.