Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle is proud to serve those who have bravely served our country. We can think of no greater way to say thank you than to make sure our elderly and disabled veterans in our community are fed and cared for. Every weekday, our compassionate volunteers are knocking on doors and delivering hot, nutritious meals - and so much more. They make sure our meal recipients know they are not forgotten.
Today we especially remember Glenn Pinchback, who served in the U.S. Army as a paratrooper and Nike Missile artilleryman, and who was a friend to many of our volunteers who delivered his meals through the years. We thank Glenn and all who have fought for our freedom and we will continue to work to make sure they know their service and sacrifice will not be forgotten. We invite you to join us by donating or volunteering.
Mark your calendars to join us at Sedona Taphouse on Mondays throughout the month of May for our Steak Out for Charity fundraiser!
Enjoy a delicious flat-iron steak dinner (or lunch) for just $6 – and $1 will be donated to Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle to support our mission of providing nutrition & comfort to the ill and elderly in our community.
Sedona Taphouse is located at 1035 Millmont Street in Charlottesville (behind the Barracks Road Shopping Center). Visit sedonataphouse.com to see their full menu and wide selection of craft beers.
The KidX XOXO Valentine Event at Fashion Square Mall during February was an absolute success! Children made Valentine's day cards for Meals On Wheel's Clients, including sayings such as "you are loved!" and "be mine!". The kids were so overjoyed to spread some love over the holiday; some of them even shared that their grandparents had been helped by Meals On Wheels! A few of the parents even donated birthday gifts for the clients. Here are some photos from the event:
Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle is joining together with hundreds of independent Meals on Wheels programs around the country for our annual March for Meals campaign. Our common goal is to raise awareness of our mission and build community engagement around our cause at the grassroots level.
Throughout the month of March, we will be reaching out to our local community with fundraising activities, volunteer drives, and celebrating community champions. Be sure to check cvillemeals.org and our Facebook page to stay up to date on our March for Meals activities.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Share our message with family, friends and colleagues about the importance and effectiveness of our Meals on Wheels program as a solution to the challenges of elder hunger and isolation
- Donate and spread the word about our reliance on private contributions rather than government funding to serve our neighbors in need
- Encourage people you know to get involved by volunteering to pack and deliver meals
Together we can ensure that the homebound in our community receive the nutrition and companionship they require. Thank you for your support!
Meals on Wheels of Charlottesville/Albemarle is seeking a Client Manager to join our team! The Client Manager is tasked with the support of our clients, both new and existing, in support of our mission – to provide hot, nutritious meals to homebound Charlottesville and Albemarle County residents who are unable to cook their own meals and who have no one to help them. Reporting to the Executive Director, the ideal candidate will be experienced in social work, specifically with an elder population and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. This person must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and fully supportive of the mission of Meals on Wheels (MOW).
- Accepts new client referrals and takes basic information
- Responsible for inputting documentation into database program
- Initiates paperwork for all new clients
- Adds new meal recipients to delivery route schedules in coordination with the Volunteer Manager
- Completes annual review and documentation of client needs and eligibility
- Responsible for organizing and distributing birthday and holiday gifts
- Prepares monthly statistics
- Prepares monthly bills and client statements
- Checks answering machine daily and logs messages
- Answers phone and logs messages
- Assists with newsletters and mailings
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office knowledge with a focus on Access and Excel.
- Intermediate knowledge of QuickBooks
- Proven clear thinker, well organized, level headed, solution oriented.
- Strong customer service ethic, answers phones and works with meal recipients.
- Social Work background preferred.
- Must have personal automobile insurance and a valid driver’s license, with access to a reliable vehicle.
Please submit resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
Love is making sure that our neighbors are fed and cared for all year long. Our 320+ volunteers at Meals on Wheels do this five days a week, bringing nutritious meals and friendly conversation to those who are homebound and living alone. We are so thankful for their time and dedication. If you are interested in learning more about being a Meals on Wheels volunteer, please give us a call at 434-293-4364 or email Kathy at email@example.com.